Developing Leader-Rich Congregations, Ed Brenegar
February 7, 2014 at 3:15 PM MST
Submit your questions here. Select the [New Topic] button to ask a question. You must be a registered user and logged in.
The Statistical Grass Is Not Greener on the Other Side
By Rev. Mike Cole, General Presbyter, Presbytery of New Covenant
“We will be better off in another denomination,” said the person who has decided God’s will for their congregation. That assumption has always left me wondering what is meant by “better off,” but I’ve never seen any data to support or challenge that assumption. That’s why I decided to do my own research on the subject.
The Evangelical Presbyterian Church graciously provided me with their 2012 statistics and the Office of General Assembly provided our GA statistics for the last ten years. I tracked 85 congregations that were in the PCUSA prior to 2008 and have since left for the EPC. These 85 congregations represent 20% of the current membership of the EPC, making them a statistically significant sample to study. By the way, without these 85 congregations, the EPC would have recorded a 3% loss in membership from 2011 to 2012.
Presbytery of Santa Fe Vision and Values
The Presbytery of Santa Fe, as the Presbyterian Church (USA) in this place, is a community of congregations engaged by the Triune God in worship, education, and mission, both as congregations and as relational networks.
We live into our future as a community of faith engaged in God’s mission, guided by Scripture, fulfilling ecclesial responsibilities, and claiming these shared values:
- Living Christ’s call to love God and one another in word and deed.
- Responding to God’s call by connecting as congregations to do mission and ministry together with Christ-like creativity and innovation.
- Mentoring and nurturing all people for discipleship.
- Cultivating generosity, hospitality and mutuality in all of our relationships.
- Being faithful stewards of the Spirit’s gifts, including wisdom, community, theological traditions, and cultural diversity.
- Embracing God’s ongoing new creation through openness to creativity and change in our structures and systems.
Design for a Missional Presbytery
This document is the design for a Missional Presbytery that was approved in October 2012.
Presbytery of Santa Fe Standing Rules
These Standing Rules were approved at the October 2012 presbytery meeting.