Is your church ready? Have you planned? Human caused disasters such as fires, or natural disasters such as earthquake or lightning, or even violence against church workers and members are all a current reality. Preparedness for individuals, families, churches, and our communities is essential. This workshop is provided for the churches in our Presbytery to enter into the conversations and planning that is necessary for the disasters that will come in unexpected ways.
Please ask members of your Session or leaders in your church to join us on Saturday, Sept. 29th at the First Presbyterian Church in Albuquerque from 9:30am - 3:00 pm to work on responses and plans to meet emergencies. We will hear from some of our churches as they have responded to disasters. Paul Loftis from Church Mutual Insurance will explain the insurance perspective on disasters from their experience. Sample handbooks and planning procedures will be available. Afternoon workshops will give us practical experience in planning.
Morning Sessions, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Paul Loftis, Senior Risk Consultant, Church Mutual Insurance: This Powerpoint presentation led by Paul Loftis introduces various aspects of disasters for which churches need preparation. This introduction will provide information from a wide range of experiences with churches and disasters. Time for discussion and questions.
- Presbyterian Women Trainers, PDA Trained: Having attended the PDA training for PW, the trainers are prepared to initiate discussion in our churches on planning in preparation for disasters. Meeting the trainers and receiving information for your church will assist in your planning process.
- Panel Discussion, Santa Fe Presbytery: My church’s response to disaster events' will be the focus of this discussion by folks from our Presbytery who have met and planned for disasters.
Lunch 12:00-12:30 pm
Afternoon Session, 12:30 pm
- Preparation of Safety and Security Handbooks: Handbooks from several of our churches will be available as examples, and pages from the PDA handbook will begin the process of developing church handbooks. Discussion questions
Workshop Selection, 1:30-2:00 pm and 2:00-2:30 pm - Choose two (2) of the four workshops:
- Safe Church Facility Training: How do we organize a secure and safe facility for ourselves and our community?
- Safe Church Security Committee: What medical supplies and training do we need to respond to a disaster?
- Misconduct Awareness Training: How do we handle misconduct in our church? Can we develop awareness and plan to keep our children and adults safe?
- Mental Health Training: How do we identify and prepare for those people with mental illness at our church?
Contact Judith Todd, email@example.com, with any questions.